Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beirut- The Rip Tide




After listening to The Rip Tide I can say that as far as vocals go Zach Condon of Beirut is now right near the top of my list. Condon finds a truly beautiful balance in using vocal distortion and just having an amazing voice. The Rip Tide can be best explained musically as world music that easily slides into folk, indie and finishes with a light and tasteful amount of electronica. Every song has that feeling of driving home to it, but that makes you wish your home was a little further away so you could continue the musical journey. The only criticism I have for The Rip Tide is that at times the use of horns and harmonies remind me of a Stephen Stephens album and is missing that smidge of originality that would put this album at the top of everyone’s list for the year. Still for me I love it and every track is gracefully constructed, I think this one will be on the top of my list for a little while.




Final Review- 90


Best Songs- Santa Fe, Port of Call, East Harlem, Vagabond, Goshen 1



No comments:

Post a Comment