Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Break Horses- Hearts




“Winter Beats,” the opening track of Hearts, gives a sense that this album is going to bring you some new and great-sounding songs. Unfortunately a lot of the energy in “Winter Beats” starts losing its footing and grip once the opener is done and falls a little short. Not to say that the rest of Hearts is a waste - I actually think there are some pretty awesome tracks - but as an album it is kind of boring. I am a fan of synth dream pop but this album from I Break Horses is kind of one of the reasons it also is one of my least favorite genres. They get so close to a revolutionary sound, almost to the same level as an Animal Collective song, but it just isn’t gutsy enough. The vocals are fantastic and all in all the musicianship is there. Hearts is definitely at its strongest on tracks like “Pulse,” “Cancer,” and “Load Your Eyes,” where there is a strong beat and solid chorus. Even through its faults Hearts is a borrow for sure. I think I Break Horses is on to something and I am excited to see what they come up with next. 




Final Review- 80


Best Songs- Winter Beats, Pulse, Cancer



No comments:

Post a Comment