Monday, February 28, 2011

Bright Eyes- The People's Keys



There is something that Conor Oberst brings to every one of his projects that no one else ever has. In a music industry where everyone is trying (and most often failing) to do indie music with deep and meaningful lyrics Bright Eyes has been the only constant. The People’s Key is the first Bright Eyes album in four years and you can tell that the break served front man Conor Oburst well. He comes back strong with the emotional ride that is The People’s Key. There are some familiar sounds on The People’s Key but it stands on its own. In true Bright Eyes style, there are some neat experimental sounds sprinkled throughout The People’s Key. An example is on “Jejune Stars.” It has a punk rock and close to uncomfortable sound that isn’t really shown on previous albums. The opening track is similar to 2007's release Cassadaga with Denny Brewers ranting about shamanic beliefs to kick off “Firewall.” The People’s Key is a perfect example of how to do a successful and great album. I can’t help but love every track. From the nice smooth piano playing of "The Ladder Song" or the great pop sense of "Shell Games" this album is not one to be missed.




Final Review- 100



2 comments:

  1. While Bright Eyes hadn't had a release in four years, I'm not really sure we can say that Oberst had a break. He released two solo albums in that time (as well as toured for both of them) and was a part of Monsters of Folk, who released an album in 2009 and toured for it.

    The People's Key is incredibly strong despite Oberst not really getting any sort of break, but I still think that I'm Wide Awake and It's Morning is my favorite Bright Eyes album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that him not working with the entire Bright Eyes group was a break. not in the sense that he stopped making music. Its that he got to stretch his muscles and venture into new areas. I think what I was getting at was that he stepped back from the project and that's what made this last album so good.

    I'm wide Awake and Its morning is fantastic. When it comes to Bright Eyes or any Conor Oberst projects I am incredibly partial to it. I think of all the ones that really stood out for me was Fevers and Mirrors. But like I said I think most things he touches are gold. and yes... I am a fan girl

    ReplyDelete