Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Yes- Fly From Here




Fly From Here is the first release from Yes since 2001’s Magnification. It is also their first with new Canadian singer Benoit David. Fly From Here is full of progressive rock ballads and the caliber of music that one has come to expect from a band like Yes. A few of my qualms with the album lie in the six-part title track, which, altogether, is almost 24 minutes long. Though I love the epic feel to all of the parts to Fly From Here, I feel that it becomes a bit repetitive and I find myself getting bored in some of the more instrumental parts. The fact that the album is roughly 48 minutes long and over half of that is just one song really hurts it. In my opinion I would have liked to see more effort put into creating a handful of new tracks instead. I know that real Yes fans will hate that I am ripping apart one thing the band is so well known for, but I just don’t feel it on the song. I love the songs that follow the epically long one and it’s a shame that they get lost with the entire first half of Fly From Here. All in all I had fun with Fly From Here and there’s a grip of songs I really enjoy but as far as whether or not this is an album I would add to my collection I am going to have to say skip it and just borrow it from someone else.   




Final Review- 75


Best Songs- Fly From Here- Part One, Life On a Film Set



No comments:

Post a Comment