Saturday, April 30, 2011

Times New Viking- Dancer Equired




When I first put Dancer Equired on I could only get through the first half of the album before I had to turn it off because I don’t think my brain was ready for it. I took about two days off before listening to it again and then when I finally did I enjoyed every minute of it. What turned me off initially was I don’t think I could deal with another lo-fi recorded album, and Times New Viking are kind of like the kings of that. Dancer Equired has a lot of charm. Even when the guitar's reverb and muffled lyrics get a little old their overall melodies feel genuine and great. Only one track on the entire album stretches over three minutes and that is perfect for the punk psychedelic sound the band is going for. In fact the album as a whole is fourteen tracks long and only runs about thirty one minutes long. Where some groups seem to only be doing lo-fi to get attention it feels like Times New Viking is doing it because their sound actually gets better with it. I would love to see them live. If they have half the energy or confidence that is on Dancer Equired I feel like it would be an amazing show.    




Final Review- 85



No comments:

Post a Comment